This position has now closed
United Grand Lodge of England seeks two porters for the Facilities Department
The duties and responsibilities will be many and varied, but will be to assist in the provision of a high quality portering service for the building and a high quality building support service for the users of the building.
- Undertake heavy lifting duties such as moving furniture in preparation for meetings, exhibitions and other events at Freemasons’ Hall.
- Assist with deliveries such as post/parcels. This may include unloading and loading vehicles as required and subsequent distribution of delivered items.
- Ensure that rooms are set up correctly, and are clean and tidy for use.
- Ensure that all Tea and Coffee machines are keep clean and replenished.
- Report any areas of damage.
- To receive mail, report any suspicious, unusual envelopes, packages or parcels, advising relevant Line Manager accordingly and contacting the relevant authority as required.
- To assist in the effective evacuation of the building in any emergency under the supervision of the Security Supervisor.
- To undertake random baggage searches as required.
- To issue and recover security passes for visitors.
- To give advice and direction to visitors to the building.
- To collect and log any items of lost property.
- To turn off the lights in all rooms which are not being used.
- To assist with the movement of a wide range of items around the building, as required.
- To carry out any other associated duties as required.
- To use a two-way radio within Freemasons’ Hall and be available for call-out in an emergency.
- Seek continuous improvement in performance and quality standards (of the job/role or the department or the staff as applicable).
- Set challenging personal and or team targets and review them on a continuous basis as applicable.
- Attend and positively contribute at meetings, seminars and project groups as required.
- Carry out any other activities, duties and tasks as directed.
- To report anything suspicious or any unusual behaviour to relevant Line Manager.
- To act in such a way to as ensure the health, safety and welfare of oneself and others.
- To be clean and smartly dressed in the required uniform and to wear other security clothes as required.
Must have skills:
|Physical fitness and ability to perform the allocated tasks||Minimum of 3 years relevant experience|
|Smart appearance – uniform, including any protective work-wear worn while on shift||Previous experience of working in a historic or listed building and/or a private members environment|
|Flexibility and self-motivation with good organisation skills, ability to work with little direct supervision and to prioritise tasks if necessary on a daily basis|
|Ability to work in a team and independently with a professional approach which generates credibility and confidence in others|
|Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written|
|Ability to be vigilant at all times and notice details of what is happening|
|Knowledge of the job and safe working practices (HASAW)|
|5 year verifiable work record|
Competitive salary and terms package applies.
The successful applicant will work a 35 hour week; however you will be required to work on a rotating shift pattern.
Thank you for your interest. The closing date for applications for this position has now closed.