United Grand Lodge of England seeks a Security Officer for the Facilities Department
The duties and responsibilities will be many and varied, but will be to assist in the provision of a high quality security service for the building and a high quality building support service for the users of the building.
- To ensure the safety and the security of members, staff, tenants, and visitors and guest at Freemasons’ Hall.
- To maintain accurate records, both in note books and as official incident reports, including any incident reporting software, and to take appropriate action to handle and contain incidents sensitively.
- To respond to all alarm activations including fire, access control, intruder and panic alarms and assist in the effective evacuation of the building in any emergency.
- To provide a high profile security operation and presence for the building in the Front Hall, at an entrance or by patrolling at specified intervals the clock points both within the building and around the perimeter of the outside of the building.
- To ensure rooms and doors are locked/unlocked according to the UGLE agreed policies.
- To issue and recover security passes for visitors.
- To give advice and directions to visitors to the building.
- To develop and maintain good working relationships with members, tenants and other UGLE departments and teams and to explain clearly the Security and Health & Safety regulations they need to understand, and provide them with information on security they require, so as to ensure their continuing support, understanding and assistance.
- To develop and maintain good working relationships with external authorities (including emergency services) to ensure their continuing support, understanding and assistance.
- To check and record items and deliveries leaving the building.
- To receive mail, but to carefully examine suspicious, unusual envelopes, packages or parcels, advising relevant Line Manager accordingly and contacting the relevant authority as required.
- To undertake random baggage searches as required.
- To handle telephone calls to the building outside the normal hours of operation of the switchboard.
- To collect and log any items of lost property.
- To turn off the lights in all rooms which are not being used.
- To ensure that all pertinent administrative systems are maintained.
- To render First Aid treatment/advice as necessary, and keep up-to-date with training.
- To carry out any other associated duties as required.
- To use a two–way radio and be available for call-out in an emergency.
- To report anything suspicious or any unusual behaviour to relevant Line Manager.
- To understand and follow Security Standing Orders and Assignment Instructions.
- To act in such a way as to ensure the health and safety and welfare of oneself and others.
- To be smartly dressed in the required uniform and to wear other security clothes as required.
A current SIA Manned Guarding Licence/Door Supervision
A current SIA CCTV Licence
5 year verifiable work record
Ability to work in a team and independently with a professional approach which generates credibility and confidence in others
The ability, tact and diplomacy to deal with people including our client, the client’s staff and visitors in all circumstances including emergencies and other times of stress
Flexibility and self-motivation with good organisation skills, ability to work with little direct supervision and to prioritise tasks if necessary on a daily basis
Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written
Ability to listen to problems and to explain clearly actions to be taken
An excellent level of physical fitness to be able to perform patrol and emergency response duties efficiently and effectively
A consistently smart appearance in the uniform provided and required by UGLE
Ability to be vigilant at all times and notice details of what is happening
Knowledge of the job and safe working practices (HASAW)
Minimum of 3 years relevant experience
Previous experience of working in a historic or listed building and/or a private members environment
Qualified First Aider
Competitive salary and terms package applies.
The successful applicant will work a 35 hour week; however you will be required to work on a rotating shift pattern.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter to:
Director of HR
United Grand Lodge of England
60 Great Queen Street
London WC2B 5AZ
CV’s received without a covering letter will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is close of business (5pm) on Tuesday 12th October 2021.