United Grand Lodge of England seeks a PR Manager. The PR Manager role is key to the successful promotion of the United Grand Lodge of England to the wider public and ultimately will positively change the public’s perception of Freemasonry across the UK and beyond
This is not an easy challenge and we are seeking an outstanding candidate.
The United Grand Lodge of England – the governing body for Freemasonry in England and Wales – is entering an exciting new phase in its 300-year history as it seeks to change the perception of Freemasonry and encourage the public to see modern Freemasonry through its core values of Friendship, Charity, Respect and Integrity. In order to achieve this the Communications and Marketing team is seeking to attract some talented, dedicated, creative and outstanding individuals to join its team. The team’s expertise will cover all areas of communications including, corporate communications, public relations, social media, marketing, member communications, publications and events. We work on a campaign basis so you need to be a team player, as you will work closely with your colleagues, other departments and our 200,000 members. Freemasons raise £44m in charitable donations and give 5 million hours of volunteer time a year – so there is a lot to shout about – and much to be proud of. If you are looking for a new challenge, which will positively change your career, then look no further than a position at the United Grand Lodge of England.
- Develop and execute compelling communication campaigns to drive awareness of Freemasonry across the company website, social media platforms, press days, public relations, internal communication, and corporate events
- Have excellent writing skills with the ability to write press releases, features, articles, Q&As, statements and briefing documents
- Create an annual PR plan and deliver against the set targets
- Create and maintain a structured press calendar detailing events, new product launches and campaigns
- Build and maintain proactive relationships with a broad range of media titles across the UK through background briefings or sell-ins
- Work closely with Provincial Communications Officers and Media Ambassadors to ensure best practice in terms of consistency of messaging to local and national press
- Stand in for the Communications and Marketing Director at Communications Committee Meetings
- Develop and maintain PR toolkits for both the PCOs and Media Ambassadors for the new member website
- Be responsible for the media training of key press spokespeople and Media Ambassadors
- Work closely with key stakeholders (such as the Museum of Freemasonry and Masonic Charitable Foundation, Met Grand Lodge and other key departments) to promote Freemasonry consistent with the new strategic narrative
- Ensure key press spokespeople are full briefed ahead of any media engagement.
- Provide comprehensive and clear press briefing notes to the CEO to keep them informed of any key developments
- Responsible for the annual UGLE press party in order to build relationships with national, local and specialised press
- Manage project finances from budgeting, tracking, reporting and reconciliation.
- Monitor, analyse and communicate clear monthly PR reports for the CEO, Communications and Marketing Director, Communications Committee and Provincial Communications Officers
- Responsible for creating and writing press releases
- Conduct media and influencer relations, from media strategy to execution and delivery across multimedia landscapes
- Handle crisis communications and be the key point of contact within a crisis. You will also be responsible for the new Crisis Communications Manual
- Daily checking of incoming PR enquiries and prioritisation of media enquiries
- Create presentations and speeches, where required, for key stakeholders within UGLE
- Update and maintain the new master media database
- Create, update and maintain PR spreadsheets and contacts such as contacts lists for agencies, influencers etc.
Must have skills:
- We are looking for someone who can join the team seamlessly and hit the ground running. You need to be calm under pressure and be able to manage multiple projects and meet deadlines effortlessly
- To be successful in this role, you will also need to thrive on new challenges, and be a creative and strategic self-starter, someone who can create impact quickly. You will also thrive on building new and long lasting relationships with the press
- You will have solid PR experience – a minimum of 5 years. The successful candidate will be a strategic thinker, excellent communicator and willing to be hands-on with planning and implementing campaigns
- You will be someone with excellent verbal and written communication skills, enabling you to work with colleagues co-operatively and collaboratively in the team and across the organisation.
- You will have the ability to work closely with the existing team and key partners to deliver a creative public relations strategy that engages UGLE’s members and members of the public by showcasing the benefits of Freemasonry across all media channels
- You will have a flexible approach both to the type of work undertaken and working hours as required to meet team objectives and ultimately customer needs, taking ownership and responsibility for work and performance. You will demonstrate a positive ‘can do’ attitude and excellent work ethic. In addition, you will be able to demonstrate resilience and present yourself in a professional manner at all times.
£45,000 gross per annum plus the following benefits package:
BUPA private medical cover
Pension (3.5% employee & 9% employer contributions – increasing to 12%)
Free Life Assurance
Holiday (25 days increasing to 30 days)
Interest free season ticket loan
Gym membership (subsidised)
Employee Assistance Programme
This is a full time role so the successful applicant will work Monday to Friday 35 hours per week.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter to:
CVs received without a covering letter will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is close of business on Tuesday 24 September 2019.