United Grand Lodge of England seeks a Desktop Publisher / Solomon Administrator on an initial 12-month fixed term contract
The successful applicant would be responsible for providing support to the Desktop Publisher either in their absence or by assisting them directly with the production of various publications, as well as printed and digital material.
Perform various administrative and digital publishing tasks as required to support the smooth execution of and continuous updating of Solomon.
*Training regarding the management of the Solomon database will be provided.
- Produce print-ready documentation
- Format existing documentation for print and digital publication
- Edit images and other files
- Catalogue and upload materials to and archive materials within Dropbox and Solomon
- Create and edit documents that conform to a pre-determined format
- Keep up to date with relevant technological advances
- Ensure data is preserved in a safe and secure environment
- Seek continuous improvement in performance and quality standards (of the job/role or the department or the staff as applicable)
- Set challenging personal and/or team targets and review them on a continuous basis as applicable
- Attend and positively contribute to meetings, seminars and project groups as required.
Suitable initial tasks:
As the person fulfilling this job role may have little to no knowledge of Masonic Protocol and other details e.g. the link between Grand Ranks and Masonic Prefixes, the tasks that they could perform efficiently would therefore be limited to primarily publishing and not those involving the collation or sorting of data. These could include (but are not limited to):
- Updating the Book of Constitutions
- Updating the List of Grand Officers within the Masonic Year Book
- Producing the Seating Booklet for the UGLE and SGC Luncheons
- Assisting other Members of Masonic Services and other Departments with digital and print publication queries
- Preparing documentation for publication
- Updating sections of publications which can be downloaded from ADelphi and formatted for style as opposed to content
- Liaising with printers and other suppliers
Must have skills:
- Comprehensive understanding of the following programs:
- Microsoft Word
- Microsoft Excel
- Adobe InDesign CS5.5 through to Adobe InDesign CC 2018
- Adobe Photoshop CS5.5 through to Adobe Photoshop CC 2018
- Adobe Illustrator CS5.5 through to Adobe Illustrator CC 2018
- Working knowledge of pre-press document set-up
- Good analytical, problem-solving and organisation skills
- Experience producing documents for publication
- Attention to detail
- Strong time management and ability to multi-task
- Approachable and willing to offer advice and assistance
- Practical knowledge of GDPR Regulations
- Good communication skills, both verbal and written
Competitive London salary.
BUPA private medical cover (option to add family at a premium)
Pension (3.5% employee & 9% employer contributions – increasing to 12% with length of service)
Holiday (25 days increasing to 30 days after 2 years’ service – terms and conditions apply)
Interest free season ticket loan
Subsidised Gym Membership
The successful applicant will work Monday to Friday (35 hours).
UGLE operates flexible working. Core hours of work are – 10.00am – 16.00pm. Start times between 08.00am – 10.00pm and finish times between 16.00pm – 18.00pm.
To apply please send your CV and covering letter to:
CVs received without a covering letter will not be considered.
Closing date for applications is close of business on Wednesday 24th April 2019.