A blue plaque has been unveiled on Cardiff Masonic Hall in Guildford Crescent to commemorate 263 years of Freemasonry within Cardiff
Brian Langley, the Chairman of Cardiff Masonic Hall, was invited to join the Provincial Grand Master for South Wales Gareth Jones OBE in the task of unveiling the blue plaque.
The plaque now sits secured proudly above the front doors of Cardiff Masonic Hall for all to see. It was also proudly shown to all those who recently visited the Hall as part of the CADW Open Doors Heritage Initiative during September 2017.
Original records show Corinthian Lodge No. 226, the first Cardiff Lodge, was warranted in August 1754.
Lodges met at the Cardiff Arms Hotel until 1855, when moved to its own premises at 4 Church Street. Again, with the growth in membership, new lodge premises were established in Working Street on 12 January 1877.
In 1893, the United Methodist Church was determined to sell their building in Guildford Street and relocate. The premises were originally built in 1863 for the United Methodist Church at an initial cost of £1600 and boasted seating for 800 parishioners.
The architect Mr John Hartland was well known at the time and other Cardiff examples of his work still in existence are Capel Tabernacle Welsh Baptist Church in the Hayes and Bethany Baptist Church in Wharton Street, now incorporated into Howells department store.
Three Masonic Lodges, Glamorgan Lodge No. 36, Bute Lodge No. 960 and Tennant Lodge No. 1992, who were at that time meeting above a potato store in Wharton Street, made an offer of £4,500 which was accepted. In 1894, the Cardiff Masonic Hall Company was incorporated, funded by member's subscriptions raising the necessary sum plus a further £2,300 for alterations and furnishings.
The premises were finally opened to Freemasonry on 26th September 1895 by the Provincial Grand Master Lord Llangattock, who presided over its first meeting assisted by officers of Provincial Grand Lodge and distinguished brethren totalling around 500.
The building is based in design on Regency Classical coupled with the ancient Doric architecture of Greece.
In 1904 the building was fitted with Electric Lighting at the expense of the Master of Duke of York Lodge. A suitable illuminated scroll was presented to him in recognition of his gift.
In 1918 and in the following eight years, the directors acquired the cottages to the north of the building. These acquisitions enabled the building of a new temple which was named after the Deputy Provincial Grand Master of that time, Edgar Rutter.
The contribution to the community during those 263 years is immeasurable and represents a social history of the life and times of an emerging capital city from its beginnings.
South Wales Freemasons are celebrating the Tercentenary 300 years of Freemasonry within the United Grand Lodge of England and are affixing blue plaques to many of its Masonic Halls across South Wales.
Quarterly Communication of Grand Lodge
11 December 2013
Report of the Board of General Purposes
The Minutes of the Quarterly Communication of the Grand Lodge of 11 September 2013 were confirmed.
Nomination of a Grand Master for the ensuing year
HRH The Duke of Kent KG was nominated as Grand Master for the ensuing year.
Annual Investiture of Grand Officers (30 April 2014)
So that sufficient accommodation can be reserved for those Brethren who are to be invested and their friends, admission to the Annual Investiture is by ticket only. Brethren to be invested for the first time may invite to be present with them three qualified Brethren, and those to be promoted two qualified Brethren.
Masonic Year Book
The next edition of the Masonic Year Book 2014–2015, will be available next summer. The charge will be £13 per copy, plus postage and packing where appropriate. It is not proposed to produce a new edition of the Directory of Lodges and Chapters during 2014. Copies of the 2012 edition will still be available from Letchworth’s shop.
Every Lodge will receive one copy of the Masonic Year Book free of charge. The Board emphasises that these copies should be available to all the members of private lodges and not regarded as for the exclusive use of the secretary to whom, for administrative reasons, they are dispatched.
Metropolitan and Provincial Lodges
As in previous years copies will be dispatched direct to secretaries of lodges.
Sufficient copies will be dispatched to District Grand Secretaries for distribution to lodges in the Districts. Lodges abroad not in a District will receive their copies direct.
Prestonian Lectures 2014
The Board has considered applications for the delivery of the official Prestonian Lectures in 2014 and has decided that these should be given under the auspices of the following: The London Grand Rank Association, Egerton Worsley Lodge, No. 1213, Eccles (West Lancashire) and Temple of Athene Lodge, No. 9541, Harrow (Middlesex).
The Lecturer, Dr M.A. Kearsley, states that the title of the Lecture will be: 1814: Consolidation and Change.
Grand Lodge of Albania
On 14 October 2011, the Grand Lodge of Albania was formed by the Grand Orient of Italy from three lodges meeting there. The United Grand Lodge of England no longer recognises the Grand Orient of Italy but it has publicly stated that it accepts the Grand Orient’s regularity of origin and that its lodges are working regularly.
The Grand Lodge of Albania, having shown that it is of regular descent and that it conforms to the Basic Principles for Grand Lodge Recognition, the Board has no reason to believe that it will not maintain a regular path. A recommendation that it be recognised was approved.
The Board had received reports that the following lodges have resolved to surrender their Warrants: Carmel Lodge, No. 4774, in order to amalgamate with Tennant Lodge, No. 1992 (South Wales); Menturia Lodge, No. 6023, in order to amalgamate with Goulburn Lodge, No. 3478 (East Lancashire) and St Leonard’s Lodge, No. 6132, in order to amalgamate with De Bon Cuer Lodge, No. 6984 (West Lancashire).
The Board recommendation that the lodges be removed from the register in order to effect the respective amalgamations was approved.
The Board had received a report that twelve lodges have closed and have surrendered their Warrants. The lodges are: Borough of Shoreditch Lodge, No. 3064 (London); Ryecroft Lodge, No. 4974 (Derbyshire); Mosaic Lodge, No. 5028 (Worcestershire); Lodge of Fellowship, No. 5579 (Warwickshire); Defendit Lodge, No. 6049 (Northumberland); Motspur Lodge, No. 6106 (Surrey); Saint Oswald Lodge, No. 6135 (Northumberland); Blaydon St Cuthbert Lodge, No. 6962 (Durham); Lodge of Fortitude, No. 7188 (Durham); Juventus Lodge, No. 8105 (South Wales); Haling Manor Lodge, No. 8310 (Surrey) and Stallinger Lodge, No. 9624 (Durham).
The Board recommendation that they be erased was approved.
A presentation was given on the Proceedings of Grand Lodge of two hundred and one hundred years ago by J.M. Hamill, Assistant Grand Chancellor and G.F. Redman, Deputy Grand Secretary.
List of new lodges for which warrants have been granted by the Grand Master showing dates from which their warrants became effective:
11 September 2013: Waladli Lodge No. 9887, St John’s (Barbados and the Eastern Caribbean); Eastern Archipelago District Grand Stewards’ Lodge No. 9888, Kuala Lumpur (Eastern Archipelago); District Grand Stewards Lodge of Nigeria No. 9889, Lagos (Nigeria) and City Gate Lodge No. 9890, London.
Quarterly Communication of Grand Lodge
A Quarterly Communication of Grand Lodge is held on the second Wednesday in March, June, September and December. The next will be at or about noon on Wednesday, 12 March 2014. Subsequent Communications will be held on 30 April 2014 (Annual Investiture), 11 June 2014, 10 September 2014, 10 December 2014 and 11 March 2015.
Convocations of Supreme Grand Chapter
Convocations of Supreme Grand Chapter are held on the second Wednesday in November and the day following the Annual Investiture of Grand Lodge. Future Convocations will be held on 1 May 2014, 12 November 2014 and 30 April 2015.