Every Spring and Autumn, Freemasons from all around Devon meet to support local organisations and charities who require financial assistance, amongst those included are schools, youth centres and locally based charities including hospices, hospital services and cancer charities
The money is raised through the ‘WAKE (William Alexander Kneel Endowment) Fund’, a trust conceived by William Alexander Kneel, the Provincial Grand Master of Devonshire from 1970 to 1984.
Since the idea was initiated, the fund has grown through the continued generosity of Devonshire Freemasons and wise investments which today stands at almost £2 million, from which the trustees distribute the income generated, currently £50,000 each year.
Since the first disbursement in 2001, almost £725,000 has been given to over 760 worthy non-masonic organisations and charities throughout Devon, selected by members of the 133 masonic lodges based throughout the county.
On 23rd November 2018, Nicholas Ball, Deputy Provincial Grand Master of Devonshire, presented cheques to 25 deserving causes, held at Uffculme Masonic Hall.
The charity representatives accompanied by a member from their nominating lodge were able to enjoy a superb reception and buffet, a tour around the lodge building, ask any questions they wished and receive their cheques totalling £25,000.
Making the contributions, Nicholas Ball said: ‘I am delighted that the Freemasons of Devon are able to continue to contribute to these important local causes many of which are totally run by volunteers and hopefully these donations will make a real difference to the lives of many people.’
Among the organisations to benefit this year are:
- The Care of the Next Infant, Plymouth
- Plymouth Hospital Ion Chef Appeal
- Lee Moor Village Hall
- Friends of Plympton St. Maurice Guildhall
- Friends of Erme Primary School
- Parkinson’s UK, Plymouth
- South Brent Brownies
- Hatherleigh Primary School PTFA
- D’Arts Exeter
- Woodbury Community Playing Fields
- Southwest Multiple Sclerosis Centre, Exeter
- Sense DeafBlind Group, Exeter
- Health & Local Food for Families, Axminster
- Devon Racqueteers Para Badminton Club, Exeter
- Raleigh Federation of Schools, Budleigh Salterton
- Force Cancer Care, Exeter
- Crediton RFU
- Cruse Bereavement Care, Newton Abbot & Torbay
- Torbay Holiday Helpers Network
- Forde Park Pavillion, Newton Abbot
- Torbay Sea Cadets
- Kingsbridge in Bloom
- Mid Devon Messenger
- South Molton Meddlers