Devonshire Freemasons have donated £7,500 to Devon Community Foundation to help support people in need across the county
Sarah Yelland, Deputy CEO of the foundation, was delighted to be presented with the cheque by Ian Kingsbury, Provincial Grand Master of Devonshire Freemasons. The generous gift brings the total donated over the last four years to over £42,000 and will be allocated to the Foundation’s Community Grants, supporting hundreds of voluntary and community groups offering local people in need a helping hand.
Ian Kingsbury, who was accompanied by Dr Reuben Ayres, Devonshire’s Provincial Grand Charity Steward, said ‘It is a delight for us as Freemasons to be able to assist such a worthwhile and important local organisation, helping them to reach out to those most in need in our local communities.’
Some examples of the groups that receive grants from the Community Grant pot include:
- Torbay - supporting a series of workshops for older women, empowering them to become involved in a range of activities, helping to build confidence and friendships.
- East Devon - addressing social isolation of older people through a range of activities that will engage with people of all ages, encouraging inter-generational opportunities and access to services and support networks, increasing health and wellbeing.
- North Devon - purchasing of reading manuals to assist those who are unable to read to improve their reading skills, enhancing their life and social opportunities and helping to raise confidence and self esteem.
- Mid Devon - supporting general running costs for work which addresses homelessness in mid Devon, ensuring that those most at risk have somewhere warm and safe to live.
- South Hams - contributing to the setting up of a new men's shed, encouraging men to get together to make items for the good of the community, promoting social inclusion and a sense of self worth
Sarah Yelland commented: ‘Thank you once again to Devonshire Freemasons for their generous and continued support. The donation further enables Devon Community Foundation to help fund local groups that may not otherwise receive the vital income they need to survive.
‘These local community groups play an essential role in the lives of residents who are most in need and the bringing together of communities as a whole.’