It was a busy night at Beaminster Manor Lodge 1367 Sesquicentennial meeting with both the Provincial Grand Master, Grand Officers and Provincial Grand Lodge Officers attending the special occasion
At the Lodge’s consecration in 1872 at the White Hart hotel, forty three Brethren were present. The White Hart was situated on White Hart Street. Sadly this grade-II listed pub closed in 1999.
To commemorate the 100 year anniversary in 1972 there were one hundred and twenty four Brethren present. Today, sadly due to the Coronavirus pandemic, there were fifty five Brethren present. Still a healthy attendance considering the current climate.
As one would expect, on such an occasion, the ritual was superb and involved all ranks in the Lodge with 3 Entered Apprentices participating in the dedication ritual.
A splendid new shield was presented to the Master to especially mark the occasion. This shield will be added to the existing collection of historical shields held by the Lodge.
The Provincial Grand Master, Graham R Glazier presented a 50 year certificate to our worthy and well beloved Brother David Buik.
The Festive Board Banquet was excellent and reported to be one of the best in the Province.
History - Beaminster is an old settlement, dating back to around the 7th century, when it was known as Bebingmynster, meaning the church of Bebbe. The present church is dedicated to St Mary and dates from the 13th to the 15th centuries. In the late 13th century, a charter was granted for a Thursday market and an annual fair.
Photos courtesy of Phil Coxall