Members of Walton Walker and Sandwell Lodge rededicate founder's grave

Wednesday, 07 January 2015

Finding that the grave of their eponymous founder had fallen into disrepair, and with their lodge’s centenary year approaching, the members of Walton Walker and Sandwell Lodge No. 3847, West Bromwich, decided to have the grave refurbished and rededicated

Born in 1850, the son of the first Town Clerk of Wolverhampton, George Walton Walker was initiated into Lodge of Honour No. 526, Wolverhampton, as a Lewis in 1877, passing through the Chair in 1884.

After serving as Provincial Grand Secretary and Provincial Senior Grand Warden, Col Walker was appointed Deputy Provincial Grand Master in 1897 by the then Provincial Grand Master, The Earl of Dartmouth. He also held high office in a number of other Orders.

Walton Walker attained high office in many areas of ‘normal’ life, as well as in Freemasonry. He gained the rank of colonel in commanding the 3rd Battalion South Staffordshire Volunteers, being allowed to retain the honorary rank on retirement. He was also Chairman of the Board of Wolverhampton Wanderers Football Club, Chairman at the District Hospital at West Bromwich, Governor of the Royal Orphanage, Wolverhampton, and Deputy Registrar of West Bromwich County Court, subsequently becoming High Bailiff.

He was, too, President of the Staffordshire Masonic Charitable Association and was a generous contributor to charities – many of his masonic charity medals may be seen at the masonic hall in West Bromwich. In 1910 he personally defrayed the cost to the hospital at West Bromwich of replacing old wooden furniture with modern aseptic furniture.

In May 1918, Walton Walker Lodge No. 3847 was consecrated and he was installed as the first Worshipful Master. Lord Dartmouth paid tribute to him, and it was observed that no man could desire a better or more lasting monument than to have a masonic lodge named after him.

Col Walker died in December 1918 at the age of sixty-eight, after only three meetings of the lodge named after him.

A service of commemoration and a rededication of the grave was held in July at All Saints Church, West Bromwich, organised by Alan Siddall of Walton Walker Lodge, and attended by members of Walton Walker’s lodges together with representatives and leaders of the Province and of the orders of which he had been such a prominent member.

ugle logoSGC logo