The first lodge meeting to be held on board a ship, in this case the HQS Wellington, was held by the newly formed Wellington Livery Masters Lodge, No. 6991 – the only ‘floating lodge’ in the UK
The HQS Wellington is a well-known London landmark, permanently moored on the north bank of the River Thames on Victoria Embankment, near the Temple.
Previously known as HMS Wellington, she served in the Pacific before the Second World War, where she was mainly on station in New Zealand and China. During the Second World War, she was fitted with two 4.7 inch and one three inch guns and served primarily in the North Atlantic on convoy escort duties, as well as being involved in the evacuation of soldiers from the beaches of Dunkirk.
She arrived at Victoria Embankment in 1948 to continue service as the home of the Honourable Company of Master Mariners, one of the Livery Companies of the City of London and is now known as 'Headquarters Ship' HQS Wellington.
For this inaugural meeting, a talk about the links between Freemasonry and the Livery was given by Assistant Grand Master Sir David Wootton. The guest of honour was Metropolitan Grand Master Sir Michael Snyder.