The scheme, which relies entirely on voluntary donations, enables surgeons to explore treatments for conditions and injuries that affect millions of people worldwide. Surgical research has already provided signifi cant advances in:
- hip and knee replacements
- the prevention of strokes
- reconstructive surgery for trauma and war-wounded victims
- less invasive surgery and quicker recovery times
- skilled operations to improve hearing and sight
- cancer survival rates
Currently in the UK, less than two percent of funding for medical research is given to surgical projects. It is hoped that the 2013 appeal will provide the RCS with a significant boost, enabling the continuation of existing projects, and supporting advancements in surgical care for future generations.
Further information, including how to donate, can be found on the Grand Charity's website.