Leicestershire and Rutland Freemasons will mark the 300th Anniversary of the formation of the Premier Grand Lodge of England, by throwing open the doors to their Masonic Halls across Leicestershire - some for the first time - as part of the national Heritage Open Days
For anyone who has any interest in Freemasonry, has any questions they want answering, or just wants to see inside the buildings, these Open Days are the perfect opportunity to find out more.
Throughout the day, escorted tours of the building will be conducted, allowing visitors to access the lodge room where masonic meetings are held and hear of the symbolism, history and practice of Freemasonry.
Masonic Hall, Lower Church Street, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Leicestershire LE65 1AB
The Masonic Hall (Lyric Rooms) in Ashby was opened in 1981 after the former Cinema on Lower Church Street was purchased and refreshed for over £100,000.
Hinckley Masonic Hall, St. Mary's Rd, Hinckley, LE10 1EQ
The Masonic Hall in Hinckley, also known as the Green Rooms, was built in 1927 in St. Mary's Road. The original construction of the building was of a single storey with a Lodge room, dining room and kitchen.
In 2011, an additional storey was added to house a new Masonic Lodge Room. The lower floor was opened out to create a large function suite with an integral bar but maintaining much of the former architectural and aesthetic appeal. The Hall continues to host the lodges that meet in Hinckley along with serving the local community.
Freemasons’ Hall, 78 London Road, Leicester LE2 0RA
The first Masonic Hall in Leicester was situated on Halford Street and was built in 1859. It moved to its current location on London Road in 1910 after the initial hall was deemed too small when the popularity of Freemasonry saw a significant increase. The original lodge room in the Hall, the Holmes Lodge Room, is deemed one of the finest in the country with a stunningly decorated barrelled ceiling.
Freemasons’ Hall, George Street, Lutterworth, Leicestershire LE17 4ED
Freemasons’ Hall in Lutterworth, also known as the Wycliffe Rooms, was converted from the old Ritz Cinema in George Street in 1963. The former circle/balcony was converted in the Lodge Room. More recently, further refurbishment and an extension has been undertaken. The Wycliffe Rooms now acts as both a Masonic Hall for the two lodges and also a Community Centre for a wide range of activities.
Masonic Hall, Kings Road, Market Harborough, Leicestershire LE16 7JU
St Peter’s Lodge was granted a Warrant in 1870 to meet at the Three Swans Hotel in Market Harborough. As Masonry began to expand its popularity, a building fund was established in 1967 to build a permanent home. Land was purchased in Kings Road and the current Masonic Hall was built and opened in 1968, where currently two lodges continue to meet today.
Masonic Hall, Broad Street, Syston, Leicestershire, LE7 1GJ
The Masonic Hall in Syston was built in 1905 on a site of an old school in Broad Street which was enlarged in 1915 and a second floor added in 1930. A total of seven lodges meet at the hall today which makes it one of the largest halls outside of Leicester.
The Provincial Grand Master of Leicestershire and Rutland David Hagger said: 'We are really excited about this opportunity, as part of the national Heritage Open Days, to open the Masonic Hall in Syston for the very first time. We look forward to welcoming the community to show them around and help better inform them about the history of the Hall and Freemasonry in general.'
Everyone is welcome, with free tours on Saturday 9th September 2017 starting at 10am until 3.00pm and no booking required.
Other Masonic Halls in Leicestershire opening as part of the Heritage Open Days are in Leicester, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, Hinckley, Lutterworth and Market Harborough. More details can be found on the Heritage Open Days website here.
The Lord-Lieutenant of Leicestershire Jennifer, Lady Gretton, JP officially opened the new Community Room at Lutterworth Freemasons’ Hall on Saturday 21st November 2015 alongside the Provincial Grand Master of Leicestershire and Rutland, RW Bro David Hagger.
Over the past year the Freemasons’ Hall at Lutterworth, known as the Wycliffe Rooms, has undergone extensive development to include a new large multifunctional room, bar and kitchen which is available for hire by the local community.
The Chairman of the Lutterworth Masonic Association, W Bro Malcolm Longley, said: 'We offer our thanks to Lady Gretton for finding time in her busy schedule to perform the official opening ceremony. Similarly, our thanks must also go to RW Bro David Hagger for also being with us on this special occasion. We are deeply indebted to many organisations and individuals who have contributed to the completion of this development with either financial or physical help, or both.'
Other parts of the former cinema have also been refurbished including the reception and toilet facilities and a lift installed to allow less able brethren access to the lodge room without having to climb the stairs. The main kitchen has also been extended.
More than 70 people, including the Lutterworth Town Mayor, Tony Hirons, together with many local Freemasons and their partners, attended the opening after which a luncheon was served. The Provincial Grand Master gave an address congratulating all those involved in the project and concluded that he was proud that the Freemasons have provided wonderful facilities for the community of Lutterworth to use.
Finally, W Bro Clive Weston, Honorary Secretary of the Lutterworth Masonic Association, and Project Manager finished the event by presenting flowers to Lady Gretton and to the wives of members who had assisted in the development and refurbishment.